In Saskatchewan, couples who want to marry must purchase a Saskatchewan marriage licence.

A marriage licence is only valid for a period of three months, or 90 days. The marriage licence becomes effective the day after it is purchased. Therefore, the marriage licence can be purchased anywhere from one day to 90 days prior to the wedding ceremony.

The fee to purchase a marriage licence is $60.

-Both the Applicant and the Co- Applicant required to be present.

1. Requirements and Restrictions

Who can perform marriages?

Clergy and marriage commissioners who are registered in Saskatchewan according to The Marriage Act, 2021 can perform marriages.


Two pieces of government issued identification must be presented to the marriage licence issuer. Of the two pieces of government issued identification, one must be photo identification.

Examples of acceptable identification include a birth certificate, passport, driver’s licence, citizenship or permanent resident card or treaty card.

Statutory Declaration

The statutory declaration is a series of questions and information, located on the back of the marriage licence.

When applying for the marriage licence, the prospective spouses must complete and sign the statutory declaration in the presence of the marriage licence issuer. The statutory declaration must be read to the parties to prove that they fully understand the content. This includes reading the “Degrees of Consanguinity” which may bar the solemnization of the marriage.

Degrees of Consanguinity

Degrees of consanguinity refer to the relationship between the prospective spouses.

An individual may not marry his or her:

  • Grandmother
  • Grandfather
  • Father
  • Mother
  • Son
  • Daughter
  • Granddaughter
  • Grandson
  • Brother
  • Sister

The relationships above include all relationships, whether by whole or half-blood, or adoption.

Blood Tests and Medical Examinations

Blood tests or medical examinations are not required.

Can same sex couples be married in Saskatchewan?

Yes. Same sex marriages are permitted in Saskatchewan.

Getting married outside of Saskatchewan

Contact the province or country where you want to get married for information about their marriage laws.


2. Minors

The age of majority is 18 years in Saskatchewan. There are certain restrictions that apply to minors.

Persons 16 or 17 Years of Age

A Saskatchewan “Consent to Marriage of a Minor” form must be signed and completed by the parent(s) or guardian(s). They must sign the consent form in the presence of a Saskatchewan marriage licence issuer, clergy or any person authorized to take affidavits.

Consent forms can be obtained from a Saskatchewan marriage licence issuer.

If the parent(s) or guardian(s) refuse to consent to the marriage, the minor can apply to a judge of either the provincial or King’s Bench court for an order dispensing with their consent. The minor may obtain the judge’s order by applying to a court house in Saskatchewan.

Persons Under 16 Years of Age

Under the federal Civil Marriage Act, no one under the age of 16 can get married.


3. Previously Married Persons


If either of the prospective spouses is divorced, evidence of the termination of the marriage must be presented to the marriage licence issuer when purchasing the marriage licence. The following documents are acceptable as proof of the dissolution of marriage:

  • The original or a court certified copy of the “Decree Absolute” of Divorce; or
  • The original or court certified copy of the “Certificate of Divorce.”

The preliminary document (Judgment, Order or Decree Nisi) are not accepted as proof of divorce in Saskatchewan.

The correct divorce documents can be obtained from the court in the province or state in which the marriage was dissolved.

All divorce documents must be translated into English by an independent translator. The translator must include his or her name, complete address and telephone number.

Certificates of Divorce

A certified copy of a certificate of divorce may be obtained by writing to, or attending in person at, the court house where the divorce was granted. To locate the file, the court staff need the names of the parties, the court file number and the approximate year of commencement of the divorce proceedings. If you do not know the court file number (which is located at the top of every court document), you will have to pay a search fee.

The fees are:

  • $10 for the certified copy;
  • $10 search fee, if the search only covers a five-year period. $20 if the search is for a longer period or if the request is made to the wrong judicial centre; and
  • $0.50 per page photocopying fee.

All fees must accompany your request. Make your cheque payable to the Local Registrar. You may visit the Order a Certificate of Divorce page for more information.

If you do not know in which court house the divorce was granted, you may call the Central Divorce Registry in Ottawa. The staff there will be able to find the information needed. Their contact number is 613-957-4519.


If either of the prospective spouses was previously married and the former spouse is known to have died, no proof of death is required. The exact date and place of death of the former spouse must be known.

If the former spouse is presumed to have died, a declaration of presumption of death must be presented to the marriage licence issuer. The Court of King’s Bench issues the declaration in Saskatchewan. This document must be attached to the marriage licence. The official performing the marriage ceremony must ensure all documents are signed and in order.